History of Concord’s Colonial Inn
Learn more about our Inn’s rich 300 year history with these key facts and dates:
- 1716 – Concord’s Colonial Inn’s original structure was built.
- 1775 – One of the Inn’s original buildings was used as a storehouse for arms and provisions during the Revolutionary War. When the British came to seize and destroy the supplies, the Minutemen met them at the North Bridge on April 19th for what became the first battle of the American Revolution. The event is commemorated every April with a parade near the Inn and a ceremony at the North Bridge on Patriots’ Day.
- Early 1800s – Parts of the Inn were used as a variety store and a residence.
- 1835 – 1837 – Henry David Thoreau resided with us while he attended Harvard.
- Mid 1800s – The building was used as a boarding house and a small hotel, named the Thoreau House after Henry’s aunts, the “Thoreau Girls.”
- 1889 – The Inn as we know it today begins operating. Situated on Concord’s town common, known as Monument Square, the Inn is surrounded by landmarks of our nation’s literary and revolutionary history.
- 1900 – The property was given its current name: Concord’s Colonial Inn.
- 1960 – The Inn undergoes a major expansion with the addition of the Prescott Wing, adding 32 new guest rooms and suites to the Inn’s original 16.
- 1970 – The dining portion of Concord’s Colonial Inn is expanded significantly as well with the addition of the Merchant’s Row Dining Room, our main dining room ever since.
- 1988 – The Inn is purchased by German Hotelier, Jurgen Demisch.
- 2012 – The Prescott Wing undergoes a top-to-bottom restoration.
- 2015 – The Inn is purchased by Michael and Dorothy Harrington of Beverly, Massachusetts, who own it to this day.
- 2016 – The Inn celebrated the 300th anniversary of it being built.
We look forward to welcoming you to many more significant historical moments in years to come. For more information on the rich history of our property, simply inquire with one of the helpful staff members during your next visit.